Helped over 1,200+ Clients

Former Prosecutor

A+ BBB Rating


Being accused of assault can give the appearance that you are a violent person. Often times, a person can be charged with assault when they are merely defending themselves. Any uninvited contact with another that results in bodily injury, which is a fancy phrase for “cause’s pain”, can result in an assault charge being filed. Usually, the person who goes to the police first will have the advantage of the other person being filed on. A charge of assault is a Class A misdemeanor that carries a maximum range of punishment of up to 1 year in the county jail and up to a $4,000 fine.

There are typically three defenses to the charge of assault. The first is consent; this is where the other party has consented to the contact, like you would see in a boxing match. Second, is the defense of mutual combat. Mutual combat is where both parties are equally liable for assaulting each other, such is seen in a bar fight. The third defense to assault is self defense. Self defense is probably the most common defense available when someone has been charged with assault in Texas. The Texas rule of self defense allows a person to use force to protect themselves, protect a third party, and to protect their property.

Dustan Neyland has years of experience handling assault cases in Harris County, Montgomery County, and all across the State of Texas. If you have been accused of assault anywhere in the State of Texas, contact us today to schedule a free in-person consultation at our office in Kingwood, TX, conveniently located within a short drive from Houston, TX and Conroe, TX.

The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland also represents clients who have been charged with a Class C offense of assault by contact and have received a notice to appear in the City of Humble Municipal Court, the Justice of the Peace Court in New Caney, TX, the City of Splendora Municipal Court, the City of Roman Forest Municipal Court, the City of Patton Village Municipal Court, and all Harris County Justice of the Peace Courts.

Contact us at (281) 312-0155 for a consultation.